Saturday, August 14, 2010

Beijing Day 1

Our flight came in an hour later than expected.  That flight really feels like you're stuck in a wrinkle in time and I spent much of just thinking about how much I already dreaded the return flight.  The nice thing about getting in at midnight was the customs and visa lines were a breeze.  Our guide was easy to find and the roads were pretty clear. 

Our first stop on our tour was the Hutong area complete with rickshaw ride and a close up view of a "rich" families courtyard home.  Five generations have lived in this modest home.
We climbed to the top of the drum tower, walked the Temple of Heaven, bought more pearls than I should have under the guise of passing them on to the kids one day; and, to our guide's horror-- learned to eat with chopsticks at lunch.  She could not believe we had traveled to China before and not learned this.  And actually, I completely agree.  However, if I continue to practice this chopstick diet, I expect to have lost about 20 lbs before our return home.




Now I will go try to convince Kayla to wake up from her 3 hour nap, so she's not bouncing off the walls at bedtime.

9 comments:

  1. Somehow I missed that you guys had already left!! But I will be following now! I know you are so excited. Praying for a smooth transition for your little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a great first day! I am sure you are so excited! We have you on our blog as "In China Now". Yahoo!

    Alyzabeth's Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures. Eveyone looks so happy and rested and you got in at midnight the night before! Have a wonderful time. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you made it there safe and that you had a great first day. Just a few more days until you meet your little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you made it safely. How did Kayla do on the flights?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you are there and having fun...enjoy...you are soooo close!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the photos! Glad you made it there in a relatively timely manner. Look forward to following you on this journey to bring Jonah home!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah! I loved the pictures. I can't wait to see and hear about Jonah and Nanning. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pictures are great! You all don't look like you've just traveled for hours and hours. You must have great recuperative powers.

    ReplyDelete